List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] PIM Integration for Editor with code folding
From:       "Oliver Oppitz" <o.oppitz () web ! de>
Date:       2004-09-24 20:52:42

Hi,

> Joseph Wenninger <jowenn@kde.org>
> In a GUI world, I don't think a text editor is  the right thing for
> project management.
I agree that many people will not like to use the pure text interface. For
those one could supply a a tree view like you suggest where they move
about the nodes by drag and drop etc. That would be very much like
tuxcards.

However, for people who do want to use the text interface the flexibility
is unsurpassed: for adding a subcategory go to the beginning of a line and
add "*
". Voila. Compare that to some mouse select/menu actions... The advantage
of the text interface is that it does not force any hierarchy or structure
on you. It's up to you how you arrange your data.

I'd like to give the choice to the user. I agree that in a GUI world the
application needs to look nice, so what I intend is to add some
boxes/highlighting to the text window that reflects the structure. These
graphical elements could also be used as target to click at... But there
should not be too much eye candy...

> I think a real treeview with an associated detail view (kmail (or todo
> list, korganizer for calendars or a text editor for notes)) which has an
> filter on some kind of metatags/custom properties applied would be more
> the way to go.
I agree with your suggestion of filters, keywords etc. This can be done in
both the "tree/detail view" and the "text view" scenarios. I guess, one
really should consider the frontend as a view on the data. The user can
choose the view he prefers. And few users will chose Emacs for this ;-)
... which is the motivation for this project idea.

Cheers, Oliver