List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Kate Part, namespaces issue
From:       Jarosław Staniek <js () iidea ! pl>
Date:       2004-06-24 18:52:28

Hello Christoph

>>There is applied the same rule in KexiCore module (just avoiding having the
>>same class names in an inheritance chain within namespace by using -Base
>>suffix), and it works well and looks reasonable in the code.
>
> We can't break binary compatibility for KDE 3.x, no chance for such an change,
> btw. it is not that nice, destroying the nice namespace capsule :/ (and being
> even source incompatible),

I have no idea how many project uses internal Kate API instead KTextEditor's
interfaces (hints please?). Indeed, changes to internal Kate's API will be
source incompatible. But it's not the case while somebody using only
KTextEditor's API.

 > my hint would to better use other compilers (yes,
> know that this is not always possible, bound on work to some gcc
> 2.7.2-patchxxxxx on some old irix for some projects, too ;)

THis is impossible in general. I am not contributing to just myself, it's all
about at least haundreds developers that have already purchased tools (ie.
MSVC), have their libraries, etc. If it was only me who has a problem, I'd
just switch to newer compiler (msvc7).

I've heard that there was a plan for Kate to drop so rich usage of namespaces.
At least for KDE4. I wonder if there is a way to avoid dirty wrappers (as were
added with eg. KMDI lib) to Kate, getting things compile.

Anyway, there is a last chance that temporarily using typedefs we can keep BC,
eg.:

typedef Kexi::Document KexiDocumentBase

and so on
+ some ifdefs...

I'd like to avoid forking, otherwise maintenance will be too hard.

--
regards / pozdrawiam,
   Jaroslaw Staniek / OpenOffice Polska