List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Some highlighting questions
From:       Jesse Yurkovich <yurkjes () iit ! edu>
Date:       2003-01-22 3:45:42

In light of the recent flood of highlighting questions, I got a little curious
and looked closer into kate's code I've been studying for a while now ;).  I
noticed that the majority of calls in katedocument.cpp use buffer->line (int)
which may trigger highlighting as well as some calls in katebuffer.cpp that
don't really need to.  What I found is that if I change 44 of the 48? calls
of buffer->line to instead use buffer->plainLine(int) and replace 2 calls in
katebuffer.cpp to use the non-highlighting function, no noticable regressions
exist.
Essentially the only thing that can now trigger highlighting is the call to
KateDocument::paintTextLine, KateDocument::kateTextLine, and the printing
function.  Is this to be expected and will this help performance any? I'm not
really sure because not only is there a timer that can be triggered for
highlighting but the highlighting seems to be kept well updated, meaning that
even buffer->line will not trigger highlighting often.  But didn't this help
the search code at one time? BTW, the only reason I left highlighting being
triggered for kateTextLine was that I expereinced crashes doing file reload ?

Also, if this is a valid 'cleanup', what is the policy of someone like me
(i.e. not a core developer) to commit these small cleanups here and there? I
have others as well. Like is the KWin stuff in KateDocument::configDialog()
supposed to be there?

-Jesse