List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Bracket Matching
From:       Joseph Wenninger <jowenn () jowenn ! at>
Date:       2002-08-25 6:33:04

Hi

On Saturday 24 August 2002 18:40, John Firebaugh wrote:
> Jowenn, others,
>
> In revision 1.349 of KateDocument, you changed the bracket matching to
> match the bracket to the right of the cursor. But the most common case
> where bracket matching is useful is when you just typed a bracket and you
> want to see which one it matches. Therefore, we should look at the
> character to the left of the cursor, not to the right, don't you agree?
> FYI, Emacs behavior is to first match on the left if the character on the
> left is a closing bracket, otherwise to match on the right if the character
> on the right is an opening bracket. Maybe we should emulate this behavior?
>
> -John

Hi the problem with the old way for me had been, that you had to place the
cursor after the opening bracket, and if I'm using overwrite mode, the
character after the bracket, has the block cursor instead of the bracket
itself.

The emacs beviour sounds interesting. If you fix the cursor postion, please
don't remove the symmetric 40 lines matching again ;)

Kind regards
Joseph Wenninger