List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Kate: A usability question
From:       Anders Lund <anders () alweb ! dk>
Date:       2002-03-31 23:40:59

Hi Irwin,
I wish to use you as a consultant in a usability question with Kate, since I
found your comments very usefull. Please apologize if you don't want that,
and feel free to direct me to a mailing list if you think that would be
better.

Now the question.

Kate has the "Document" menu, displaying a list of open documents. Currently,
Kate will assign a number to each docuemnt, and try to make the first cipher
an accellerator for the item. This does not work well, if more than nine
documents are open the accellerators are repeated, and does thus not work.

To solve that problem, I consider making a private popupmenu class, that uses
a autocompletion object to focus a document as you type into it, with the
option of using the default "next/previous completion item" shortcuts. This
would be different from normal menu behaviour, but imo more usefull in this
specific menu. What do you think?

Another problem with this menu - and the "Bookmarks" menu as well - is that it
may potentially be very long - there is virtually no limit to the number of
documents that kate can open. QPopupMenu is very ungracefull if the menu gets
larger than the screen height allows, just adding to the width. I think about
having the "Document" and "Bookmarks" menus behave like the K menu quick
browser if they get longer than the height of screen. This means that parts
of the menu may initially be hidden, but looks less confusing. Do you think
that is a good idear?

Thanks in advance,

-anders