List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kwrite-devel] Bugs to fix
From:       Anders Lund <anders () alweb ! dk>
Date:       2002-01-31 2:00:15

On Wednesday 30 January 2002 02:04, Daniel Naber wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 January 2002 01:51, Anders Lund wrote:
> > But if that keeps us from creating the best
> > application we can, where are we then?
>
> We already had about 4 months time to create the world's best editor, so
> it's only fair to give the translator (who have the same goal, BTW) enough
> time. If there's a severe bug we can always make an exception.
>
> Regards
>  Daniel

For several reasons, I have been able to spend too little time with kate for
some months. And now, beeing back to it, as usual I get inspired. So that is
my excuse for beeing a tiny bit impatient :)

I do not want to make the work harder for the translators. My point is that it
is hard to see what is the best, considering:

- Kate is a complex application, with many quite advanced features/tools. If
there is no manual, users at the best gives up learning how to use it, or
worse, gets unhappy/frustrated/angry because of lacks of informaiton. So even
if this is a bad time to write a manual, I'm happy that I got started, and -
hopefully with help from other kate developers - I'm confident that we will
eventually get a manual, readworthy even for experienced users. For the
current time, I can handle to cover the absolute basics within the next few
weeks. If I do, so that a resonable manual is available in (my pidgin)
english, I feel that it is better to provide that untranslated than the old
one, which is outdated and covers round about nothing. If this clashes with
any KDE global policy, I will have to live with it, even if I feel it is a
shame.

- Kate has an advanced GUI, and as it has evolved a lot, there are still
things that even if not bugs in a this-leads-to-a-crash way, they make life
harder for users. For example the misnamed word wrap thing. I could find more
examples, there are things that should be moved from one file/class to
another, there are accel conflicts in menus, missing tooltips and whatsthis
strings etc. More or less important of cause, but I'm glad to get the feeling
that we just might be able to slip a few things through. Let us choose them
with care, and be thankfull if we do!

-anders

--
Using konqueror for serious reading? try the rellinks plugin - available from
http://www.alweb.dk/rellinks.html