List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    [Kwrite-devel] Re: kwrite 3 bidi bugs
From:       Christoph Cullmann <cullmann () babylon2k ! de>
Date:       2002-01-28 20:19:13

Am Monday 28 January 2002 18:34 schrieben Sie:
> Hello,
>
> I gues that you are the mantainer of kwrite (and kate).
> I am using kde3 beta2, and I see that I am having problems with hebrew,
> which is a bidi lengauge as you know (newly supported by kde3 and still
> have some bugs).
>
> The bugs reprocuded by kwrite were the same I ecountered in gedit when I
> run it with biditext  (a programs that reverces hebrew output so it will
> look OK). I think that the problem, will be easly fixed if you use
> qrichtext to write the main editor. (if I guess it rigth you are you wrote
> a  new widget for the coloring syntax).
>
> The bugs found:
> 1) the ctrl-shift does not work.  (text alligment, you did not know this
> right?)
> 2) in the next example I will use capital letter to repersent hebrew, and
> undercourse (_) spaxe
> Lets say you write
> hello_WORLD,  (you will see it "hello DLROW of course).
> now lets say you select the first 7 letters, you in a normal qrichtext, you
> will see the "hello"  selected and the "W", as it should be, it looks wierd
> but it is true.
> While in kwrite, I see hello selected, and the W selected,but I see it
> instead of the "D", so in the screen I see:
>
> hello_WLROW,
> actually space is also swaped. The esiest (only?) way to fix this bug IMHO
> will be switching to qrichtext,
The problem is, qrichttext just don'T fit our needs, it's too slow for big
files (speaking of 10 mb and more ;) and we can't use it too, because of its
api :(

> I sent this mail as UTF8 and the next line is a mixed hebrew-latin letters
> so you will be hable to see this yourself.
> If you are using kmail3, you will be hable to read it OK, and kmail behaves
> OK, and this feature s usable, in normal installations as well (there is
> not compile switch for kde/qt nor patch).
> hello_עולם
> (the last word is pronounced holam. which means world)
>
> I must say the the basic I/O of hebrew work OK, since you did not break
> sentences (or didnt I try), and you send words or letters to QT' for
> displaying text.
I hope we get a dev with knowledge about the whole bidi thing to fix your
problems, but as I have exactly no idea how I could fix it, all I can do is
forward you mail to the devel-lists.

cu
Christoph