List:       kwintv
Subject:    [Kwintv] Fwd: Re: qtvision channel numbering
From:       Malte Starostik <malte () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-07-28 19:01:57

Subject: Re: qtvision channel numbering
Date: Sunday 28 July 2002 19:11
From: George Staikos <staikos@kde.org>
To: Malte Starostik <malte@kde.org>

On July 28, 2002 13:03, Malte Starostik wrote:
> channelstore.cpp:103 reads
> »···channel->setNumber( _channels.last() ? _channels.last()->number() + 1 :
> 2 );
> which causes the first channel to be numbered "2" instead of "1" when a
> channel IO uses -1 for every channel's number. Is this a typo or expected
> behaviour? (why start with 2?)

   I put this in on purpose because TV starts with 2 in North America (well
Canada and most of the US afaik anyways).  It's just a hack for now.  We have
to come up with a proper solution eventually.  Feel free to provide one. :-)

I see a very different understanding of the channels' "number" here. To me
this was merely the index in the channel list, and the number one would type
on a remote control, i.e. completely user-defined.
Apparently it's merely intended as the real channel number, i.e. the number
that maps to the frequency.
I'm fine with that interpretation, but then an int can't work, since in some
channel allocation schemes channel "numbers" aren't plain numbers, e.g. in
Europe we have channels named "EXX" and "SXX" where XX are numbers.
OTOH, I don't really see the use of displaying this rather arbitrary (only
allocated according to which channel is free in a particular region) number
in the channel list. The number assigned by the user, i.e. the ordering
(s)he'd like to have on the remote control makes more sense IMHO.

Or did I get the whole thing wrong?
If TV starts at 2 in America, what's on number 1? :-)

Any comments?
-Malte

--
"Corporations cross borders all the time in search of people to exploit for
profit and no one stops them. They call this process Globalisation. On the