List:       kwintv
Subject:    [kwintv] TIVO-like functionality...
From:       "Jan Tait" <jtait () csir ! co ! za>
Date:       2002-03-21 11:22:47

>It would be awesome if kwintv could incorporate some TIVO-like
>functionality.  If you had the TV listings for shows, how hard would
it
>be to schedule a show to be recorded on a particular channel at a
>particulr time?  Some simple VCR-like controls would be nice...  This
>would be a very exciting feature to me.
>
>I suppose pausing "live" TV would be too hard since it would require
>turning kwintv into an mpeg player which is out of the scope of what
>QTVision can do ... right?  Forget the fact that you'd have to encode
>and display the mpeg video on the fly too...

Does it have to be mpeg?  If you don't want to pause for too long (just
make
it quick on the potty) the video can be streamed directly to harddisk,
and be
read from there when watching on?  When pausing, streaming starts.
When continuing, streaming goes on in another file, while the old one
is
streamed to screen, continuing with the second file when the first is
done
(deleting the first of course) continuing recording in a third file
while the second
is streamed and deleted and so forth.
I mean, this would be great, and would certainly kick some MS butts...
Mpeg would be smaller of course, and would reduce stress on the run
(you
may run out of hard disk when having a small one...), so integrating
an
mpeg player would seem feasible... maybe use code from mplayer,xine or
so.  mplayer is a very good player, and vcr is an excellent recorder.
Maybe
get some tricks there?
It would certainly be something to get something like this to work - I
like the idea!

Cheers,

Jan Tait