List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Improving Tiling Window Support in KDE Plasma
From:       Marco Martin <notmart () gmail ! com>
Date:       2024-04-15 7:47:55

On Thu, Mar 28, 2024 at 1:43 PM Aakarsh MJ <mj.akarsh@gmail.com> wrote:
> > there are already 3rd party scripts that attempt to do that, like one
> > called polonium https://github.com/zeroxoneafour/polonium tough is
> > still quite buggy
>
> I have checked polonium before, unfortunately for me it was way too buggy to use it on a daily basis.

yeah, for now i', not sure polonium "can" be much bettergiven the
underlying features.
A significant thing missing that i seen is virtual desktops support,
as tiles are at the moment per-screen and not (yet)
per-virtualdesktop, so even just switching desktop it kinda breaks the
layout.
The script could keep a copy of every window-tile association and
reassign everything on every desktop switch but would be
kinda error prone and have too much complexity on javascript side.

What really needsto happen here is an internal support of tiles
per-visrtualdesktop on kwin side (ideally the cartesian product of
screen,virtualdesktop and activities)  but it will be a significant refactor

--
Marco Martin