List:       kwin
Subject:    Application for Forking UKUI-KWin from KWin
From:       MouseZhang <sendbypython () foxmail ! com>
Date:       2023-07-27 13:51:37

Dear KWin Development Team,

I am one of the maintainers of the UKUI desktop environment, and I am =
writing to apply for the fork of the ukui-kwin code. We hold great =
admiration for your KWin project and deeply value and respect your =
insights and suggestions. In our project, we have specific requirements =
that necessitate some customization to KWin, and we hope to gain your =
approval.

The modifications we intend to make in the fork include, but are not =
limited to, the following points:

1. Tablet Mode Support: We have incorporated support for the UKUI tablet =
mode, which differs from the existing tablet mode mechanism in KWin. =
Therefore, corresponding modifications are required to adapt to our =
desktop environment.

2. Virtual Keyboard: We have developed a virtual keyboard, but the =
current window layering in KWin does not fully meet our needs. =
Particularly, when using the virtual keyboard for text input, pop-up =
windows such as QCompleter often obscure the virtual keyboard. To =
address this issue, we need to add a new window layer to ensure that the =
virtual keyboard always displays above popup windows.

3. Custom Protocols: To fulfill the application requirements in the UKUI =
environment, we have added or modified certain protocols, such as the =
blur effect with gradual intensity changes.

4. Window Snapping Functionality: We have implemented a window snapping =
feature similar to that in Windows 11, which allows users to manage =
windows more efficiently.

5. Global Gestures: We have replaced the original edge gestures in KWin =
with global gestures, such as using a four-finger swipe to invoke =
search.

6. Dependency Management: We aim to release UKUI without some of the =
dependencies associated with the Plasma desktop environment, while still =
using KWin as our window manager and Wayland compositor.

7. X11 Support: We require continued support for X11 and plan to develop =
new features to ensure flexibility and compatibility of UKUI across =
various systems.

We genuinely value and respect your collaboration and feedback. If =
granted permission, we commit to keeping our fork in sync with the =
upstream KWin and regularly submitting our generic improvements and =
patches.

We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to review our application. =
We look forward to working with you to advance the development of Linux =
desktop environments.

Best regards,

Mouse Zhang
UKUI Desktop Environment Maintainer=