List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Regarding EGLStreams support in KWin
From:       David Edmundson <kde () davidedmundson ! co ! uk>
Date:       2019-02-20 18:13:29

Whilst I welcome your opinion, I don't really agree.

It is an open standard that happens to only have one vendor.

We currently have a libhybris backend, which shims propreitory blobs
directly. That was done by the then kwin maintainer to no noise at all.
Having a different stance here would really be an unfair double standard.

A lot of the arguments apply there and overall, despite being a whole
separate backend that's hard to even build, has proven to be much more of
an asset than a burden.

In terms of this code, it's very well encapsulated, and very tidy. I don't
see anything scary. The existing files are scarcely touched aside from some
getters. There's a thin argument about use of DrmOutput::present, but we
will follow that up on the thread.
Relatively, I think that's quite a minor thing that we should be able to
resolve.

If we are going to discuss technical merits, we should include them for
EGLStreams too, such as the deferred texture decompression that don't exist
in GBM.

In terms of debugging it's not like we, as kwin, have a precedent of doing
much other than saying "it's an upstream issue" for even the open source
drivers.

---

In terms of maintenance, the last time we had a huge regression where we
broke the lockscreen on nvidia, I went out and bought an nvidia card and
used their driver on one of my machines. Since then I've implemented
support for NVidia's glGetGraphicsResetStatus throughout Qt and in Plasma,
as well as doing the software fallback work to handle bad upgrades.

I'll continue to work on these things, my priority is my userbase, and
overall I think this patch is a good thing.

At least two other senior KDE devs has helped test this patch too. I don't
see a reason why it would be less maintained than any other part of Plasma.

I want to welcome the open source contribution that Nvidia is making.
Embracing open source outreach is the way to generate more.

--

David Edmundson