List:       kwin
Subject:    Raising Windows and Focus Prevention
From:       Milian Wolff <mail () milianw ! de>
Date:       2018-01-09 11:49:18

Hey all,

I'm trying to raise a Qt window by calling raise() on it. So far the code
essentially looks like this:

w->show();
w->setWindowState(w->windowState() & ~Qt::WindowMinimized);
w->raise();
w->activateWindow();

Now, when the window is obscured by some other window and KWins focus
prevention is set to anything but None, the window is not being raised. How
can I make this work even when focus prevention is set to Low?

I also notice that the exact same code actually seems to work for another
application. I.e. it works with KDevelop, but it doesn't work with Charm. The
latter window has no widgets that take direct user input, while the former has
a KTextEditor view. Is KWin taking this into account, and then thinks that
Charm is not raise-worthy since there is no widget that would take input? Is
there any way to convince KWin of the opposite?

Thanks

PS: Please CC me, I'm not registered to the KWin ML.
--
Milian Wolff
mail@milianw.de