List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Willing to Join
From:       Martin Graesslin <mgraesslin () kde ! org>
Date:       2016-11-02 8:07:38

On Wednesday, October 19, 2016 5:44:43 PM CET Andrei MARDALE wrote:
> Hello!

Hi Andrei,

sorry for the late reply. Somehow I only got your mail yesterday.

> My name is Andrei and I am in the third year of a Computer Science
> University from Romania. I have never contributed to an open source project
> before, but I am willing to learn a lot.

Cool! Willingness to learn is probably the most important aspect for
contributing to any open source project.

> Until now, I've been working extensively with Java and C. I've got little
> experience in C++ and no experience in Qt. However I've worked  pretty much
> with Java SWT.
>

> By now, I've already read the KDE Dev Guide, I have installed the IRC client
> and the QtCreator. However i haven't configured anything about git, as I
> don't know on what project i will be working.
>

> Please let me know how could i start working with you, what would be the
> starting point, what builds do i have to get.

Most important is to be able to build kwin from master and get it to run. For
that you can either do a full build of everything (all the frameworks, etc) or
use a distribution which provides up to date packages and just build KWin. The
latter one is clearly the easier.

If you want to get your hands dirty, I suggest to have a look at bugs.kde.org
for product "kwin". We have lots of bugs and it's always difficult to find
something which can be fixed.

A good idea might be to look into the wayland-generic component. That are the
bug reports for our quite new Wayland support. It has the advantage of being
quite clean code and also having lots of auto tests. That's also something
where you can have a look. We have some QEXPECT_FAIL in the autotests, which
indicate a bug to fix.

> Look forward to working with you!

If you have any questions, please ask!

Cheers