List:       kwin
Subject:    [RFC]: Drop support for Compiz in KDecoration
From:       Martin =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gr=E4=DFlin?= <mgraesslin () kde ! org>
Date:       2013-03-15 13:38:45

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi all,

this is a small request for comments where I would like to get some comments
for. That is I don't want to go ahead without consensus.

Since [1] KWin has the internal KDecorationBridge as a public part of the
KDecoration API to allow Compiz to implement it. This is rather unfortunate as
it makes our life more difficult as we cannot extend our internal API without
doing subclassing and all that effort (see for example [2]).

Given that it seems like nobody is still using Compiz instead of KWin I do not
see why we should continue to support it. Therefore I want to request to make
KDecorationBridge private again by unexporting the header file. If we agree on
that I'm going to inform kde-packagers about it, so that they can conflict the
4.10 package with compiz-kde.

To back my claim I checked various distributions:
* Ubuntu is not shipping kde-window-decorator in compiz-kde since precise and
doesn't ship compiz-kde since quantal [3]
* Arch is shipping an outdated version in the community repo [4]
* openSUSE is shipping an outdated version [5]
* Gentoo is shipping an outdated version which is patched for 4.10 [6]
* Fedora is shipping an outdated Compiz version, but seems to not ship compiz-
kde [7]
* Mageia is shipping an up to date version of Compiz (!), whether it includes
compiz-kde I couldn't figure out [8]

In all cases where I wrote outdated version it is the 0.8 branch of compiz,
while Canonical is at 0.9.

If Compiz still wants to support our decorations (which I doubt, though
support for appmenu got added end of last year) they would only need to fork
the header file and ensure by themselves that it works correctly.

Comments?

--
Martin Gräßlin

[1] http://commits.kde.org/kde-workspace/4933f08ae49328e36e2654434d28917310882ee5