List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Re: KCM Authorization (was: Re: Review Request: print-manager on kdereview)
From:       Thomas_Lübking <thomas.luebking () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-08-30 8:40:18

Am 30.08.2012, 07:52 Uhr, schrieb Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin@kde.org>:

> There is no such thing as a "system-wide modal" dialog on X and I doubt
> that
> we would be able to implement this in a secure way unless it is handled
> directly by the session manager.
>
> So I'm really surprised that polkit assumes something that does not
> exist.

XGrabPointer/XGrabKeyboard or a barrier window between the dialog and all
other windows.

> Btw. I personally consider system-wide modality as a very bad concept.
Agreed, sounds designed towards a pseudo single tasking OS, ie may suit a
phone - or if you want to dictate the users workflow... ;-)

> which other environments do support that? They are all X aren't they? I
> have
> never heard that another WM has implemented support for that and so far

Well, "guess who"?
http://davidz25.blogspot.de/2011/02/gnome-3-authorization.html

Cheers,
Thomas