List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: KCM Authorization (was: Re: Review Request: print-manager on kdereview)
From:       Dario Freddi <drf54321 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-08-29 20:37:44

2012/8/29 Thomas L=FCbking <thomas.luebking@gmail.com>:
> Moving to kwin.
>
> Am 29.08.2012, 03:15 Uhr, schrieb Dario Freddi <drf54321@gmail.com>:
>
>> The root of the problem is not in KAuth (which has been already
>> redesigned in Frameworks to be completely async, btw) but in the fact
>> that polkit doesn't conceive a window manager which makes the
>> authorization dialog non-modal.
>

> The modality description in the NETWM is extremely weak ("while clients c=
an"
> ... "WM can also" ... *sigh*) and there's no icccm defined concept of
> modality but the bottom line is that the user can not interact with the
> blocked window at all.

Also, just for the sake of completeness: I really think the solution
to this is to make somehow the dialog application-modal, as it was the
case with the old PolicyKit architecture. Of course, in the past it
was possible since the authorization logic happened inside the client
and not in a separate process. So I think the proposed solution of
extending the spec to support this specific case in KWin is what we
really need.