List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: The future of tiling? [WAS: remove Tiling specific "switch focus" shortcuts]
From:       Martin =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gr=E4=DFlin?= <mgraesslin () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-04-02 4:34:29

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 01 April 2012 16:19:20 Mathias Gottschlag wrote:
> I would love to see "proper" tiling in kwin, and as I discovered the thread
> on the mailing list, I was just compiling an initial KDE checkout as I
> wanted to look into tiling and multiple screens. However I have never
> worked with such a large unknown codebase. I'd definately need a helping
> hand, someone who would explain some basics to me as soon as I decide to
> start working on this.
that we can of course provide - most documentation (e.g. class diagram) is in
community.kde.org/KWin

But before spending time on it, we have to make up our mind if we want to
continue offering tiling. At the moment I tend to remove it in 4.10. That's
why input is so important.

> About scripting in KWin: Is there any documentation about this? What classes
> are exported, and where? A tiling extension would probably need to
> completely override some functionality related to window placement, is this
> possible from scripts?
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/KWin/Scripting
http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/KWin/Scripting/API_4.9

API page is not completely up to date (exports missing) and global JS methods
are not yet documented.

Cheers
Martin