List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Re: More GSOC ideas
From:       Martin =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gr=E4=DFlin?= <mgraesslin () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-03-16 18:31:06

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

thanks for your answer. Given that you have been a tiling window manager user
I just have a few more questions and take that to the KWin list only. I
currently try to figure out what to do with tiling and I am looking for
feedback from users of both tiling wms and KWin :-)

On Tuesday 13 March 2012 19:00:46 heathmatlock wrote:
> I have been an Xmonad user for a couple of years (and awesome for a
> little while as well) because of the productivity gains, it's just so
> much faster to use the keyboard than to switch back and forth between
> mouse and keyboard. It's also faster to have the windows tiled in a
> manner which allows you to access information faster by glancing
> instead of the alternative used by Kwin and others which is to to alt
> tab for moving windows out of the way. I recently switched back to KDE
> when I realized I started spending a large part of my time attempting
> to acquire all the functionality of a DE out of Xmonad. It would be
> ideal to have all the power which KDE offers with easier access to
> data which tiling window managers offer.
Now to that my question: why are you not using e.g. Xmonad instead of KWin
with Plasma Desktop? What is lacking for the usage of the desktop environment
when using a real tiling window manager?

Do you think that there are many users of tiling window managers who would
prefer using the Plasma Workspaces with a tiling KWin?

My personal understanding is that the userbase of KWin and tiling wms are
mutual exclusive. Consider for example this screenshot in the German Wikipedia
for i3:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/af/I3_window_manager_screenshot.png

To me it looks like screen on KMS would be enough for them. And given that I
know the core developer of i3 I'm quite sure that it's a screenshot of his
system (further proof: username michael).

Your opinion on these thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers
Martin