Hi,

With https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/104025/ there will be a lot more options in the "Task Switcher" configuration, and as Martin Gräßlin put it, "the user interface has to be changed, that is quite clear". However, as the UI isn't related to that particular patch, I suggest that we continue the discussion here.

Martin also wrote that "For the settings I'm thinking of an approach like the mouse actions for Plasma Desktop. Using a button to "Add another restriction" or something like that. Would make the view much less cluttered."

I was thinking along the same lines and agree that it would make the configuration less cluttered. However, I also think it makes it less straightforward and more complicated to the user, and therefore I would like to propose a different configuration system.

Since the information in the task switcher is very similar to the one presented by Task Manager in Plasma, I believe it's a good idea to make the configurations similar. With this in mind I created the following mockup: http://hanswchen.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/kwinsettings.png (note that it isn't "pixel perfect"). Some notes:

  1. I've put grouping as a separate option. This opens up the possibility to have e.g. "Group by tabbed window group" (or whatever it's called) in the UI.
  2. I believe most options are binary, i.e., simply "yes" or "no", and therefore checkboxes are best. One exception is minimized windows - the user may want to show all windows, only minimized or all except minimized windows. That's what "Only show windows that are:" is for, but I'm not too happy with how it is in the mockup.
  3. It's not possible to set "Exclude windows from current screen" in my mockup - is there any use-case for this? (I'm a multiscreen user and can't imagine one.)
  4. Some filter options can be disabled depending on other options, e.g. it doesn't make sense to only show windows from the current application if you group windows by applications.

The text etc. can probably be improved, it's the general structure that's important.

I'm not subscribed to the list so I would appreciate if you could CC me the replies.

With best regards,
Hans Chen