List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Review Request: Only reserve required electric borders for ElectricAlways
From:       Phil Turmel <philip () turmel ! org>
Date:       2012-02-25 14:52:11

On 02/25/2012 01:24 AM, Thomas Lübking wrote:

>> On Feb. 25, 2012, 5:13 a.m., Philip Turmel wrote:
>>> Diff v2 works, as far as it goes.  With a 1Rx4C pager layout,
>>> the virtualbox mini-toolbar does pop out.
>>>
>>> I still believe my patch is superior, as it allows users the
>>> option to keep a compact 2x2 pager in their panel without giving
>>> up vbox or similar fullscreen app compatibility.  My patch also
>>> exposes the top and bottom hotspots for further customization in
>>> the settings gui when left/right only is selected.  These extra
>>> features are in a patch only 20% larger than this one.
>
> Again:
> a) if the electric borders do no more provide some sore of static
> panning they should be handled like that, ie. simply show up in the
> individual popup menu. Slots for next/prev & up/down/left/right are
> present anyway and the behavior you suggest is already arbitrary.
> (Personally I don't mind that, but if then consequently ie. with a
> max degree of freedom on setting them up)

I completely agree that exposing the switching actions in each
individual edge action's popup would be a more general solution.  I
even suggested it in my original bug report.

I don't know the code well enough to pursue that solution, so I
implemented what I could, that would meet my needs.

> b) Your patch is still a special case solution - what if i don't
> care about a top panel, but have one on the left or right?

I recognize that someone might choose to set up such a thing, but
the problem I'm trying to solve involves applications that use the
top and bottom edge, and have no option to use the left and right
edge.  Virtualbox is my primary use case.  It also works with
fullscreen KRDC -- I tested that last night too.  It also works with
auto-hide mode on a Windows guest's toolbar.

I would characterize it as a common case, not a special case.

> c) In general, pagers are free to ignore the desktop layout but if
> our "panning" doesn't care about it, the desktop layout setting
> becomes quite pointless. (Why such features should be sold as
> independent random triggers, see a)

(?) I'm not following you here.  My son likes the desktop cube with
a 2x2 pager layout and its four-sided switching metaphor.  The pager
layout makes perfect sense with the slider animation.  I don't think
we should disturb the defaults or the users who like them.

I'm simply trying to make desktop switching on edges compatible with
common fullscreen applications that need the top and/or bottom edges
for full features.  If a user chooses that mode, I don't think their
desktop switching behavior should lock them to one row of desktops,
even if they've chosen >1 row in the pager widget.  Least surprise.

Phil