List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Right click in Desktop Grid
From:       Martin_Gräßlin <mgraesslin () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-01-31 12:57:26

Am 30.01.2012 22:56, schrieb Svenn-Arne Dragly:
> Hi again,
>
>> Am 30.01.2012 22:32, schrieb Thomas Lübking:
>>> Much text
>>> ... for a simple question ;-)
>>>

> Hehe, sorry about that. I tend to be a bit too verbose at times :)
>
> On 30. jan. 2012 22:38, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
>> a word of warning: the code has shown to be rather fragile
>> especially
>> in the area of mouse handling. This is the reason why that feature
>> is
>> not there. I simply decided that if I touch the code again it will
>> completely collapse.
>>
>> My plan for 4.9 is to get the QML bindings I started with 4.8 ready
>> allow reimplementing desktop grid (and in a later step present
>> windows). That's why I have been working on scripting so much lately
>> -
>> it's all for preparing the QML bindings.
>>
>> Right now my suggestion would be to not work on the C++ code
>> anymore,
>> but to help get the QML bindings in place - only some glue is
>> missing :-)
>
> Sounds good. Where in the code base do I find the current QML
> bindings
> and scripts you have been working on?
What we currently have are property definitions in toplevel.h and
client.h. Additionally we have a WorkspaceWrapper in the scripting
subdirectory. The actual binding to QML is still missing, though. But in
tabbox/ you can find declarative.[h|cpp] which is a declarative view for
Alt+Tab. For that also a ThumbnailItem has been designed (that is what
could be used in the QML based Desktop Grid).

My idea is to now add a very small wrapper to export Client and
WorkspaceWrapper to QML scripts. Maybe we need a (Tree)Model to sort the
clients. E.g. first level activity, second level desktop, third level
screen or something like that. Perhaps a FilterModel in front would also
be nice to support the filtering as known from Present Windows. But for
the start I think we can skip the Model.

Cheers
Martin