List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Remove Xinerama related options
From:       Xavier IZARD <xizard () free ! fr>
Date:       2012-01-20 12:09:18

Martin Gr=E4=DFlin a =E9crit :
> Hi workspace developers,
>
> KWin provides the option to turn off multi screen aware window management.
> This results in windows being maximized over both screens or fullscreen
> windows being stretched over all screens. These options make the code much
> more complex and add confusing configuration dialogs to our workspace (see
> attached screenshot).
>
> Example code:
> int Workspace::numScreens() const
> {
>      if (!options->xineramaEnabled)
>          return 1;
>      return Kephal::ScreenUtils::numScreens();
> }
>
> I personally fail to understand why the options are needed and why they h=
ave
> been added in the first place. With git blame I was not able to go back s=
o far
> in the history to find when they were added. Note: the xinerama code used=
 also
> to be ifdefed, so I could imagine it being from a time back when multi sc=
reens
> was a new feature.
>
>> From the userinterface the only useful option is "Show unmanaged windows=
 on"
> which should be kept. All other options make in my opinion just no sense.
>
> If nobody sees any good reason to keep these options I would prepare the
> removal.
>
> The reason is btw not to remove options, but to decrease the complexity o=
f the
> code as shown above and the fact that it is a break my system setting whi=
ch
> happened more than once that users complained about maximize not working =
any
> more.
>
> Cheers
> Martin

Hi,

Could be more clear about the behaviour of kwin without these options ?

I suppose that the behaviour would be the same as when all these options =

were checked ? (ie, maximize & fullscreen work on each screen =

independently, magnetic borders, ...)

What about persons who group monitors to do a huge monitor panel ? =

(video wall).
What about people who use very large monitor needing dual video inputs ?

My personal usage is (was) this one : I uncheck the option "Enable =

multiple monitor window fullscreen support" (all other options are =

checked). So that :
-> When working on my computer, the maximized windows spawn only one =

monitor at a time, I get magnetic borders, ...
-> When watching movie (fullscreen mode), the display spawns all my =

monitors thus doing a video wall.

Sorry, but what I see here is a powerful feature of KDE that is going to =

disappear ...

Regards,
Xavier

P.S. I am the "author" of the option "Enable multiple monitor window =

fullscreen support"