List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: User interaction problems
From:       Ben Cooksley <bcooksley () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-04-30 10:26:33

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 10:23 PM, Martin Gräßlin <mgraesslin@kde.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 30 April 2011 22:04:12 Ben Cooksley wrote:
>> OpenSUSE 11.3 (which KWin claims is insufficient
>> in terms of it's Mesa version) isn't even 9 months old.
>>
>> Please take steps to improve the user experience.
> And here we have a conflict of possibilities. Mesa developers want us to drop
> support for older drivers so that we can have a more secure way of checking
> the capabilities without getting broken by the drivers if they do changes. Now
> you ask us to improve the user experience by again relying on possibly broken
> checks. We cannot support old and modern drivers at the same time - at least
> it looks like that.

Note that I didn't ask for support for Mesa 7.9 or earlier. What I
asked for is that your configuration ui makes it explicit that
Compositing is unavailable due to Mesa being too old. The only reason
I knew is because I grepped ~/.xsession-errors.

I know people do in-place upgrades of their KDE installations - they
will run right into this.

> No current distribution is shipping less than Mesa 7.10 and the change is for
> KWin 4.7 which will be only used by either current distributions or the next
> distribution releases, e.g. OpenSUSE 12.0.
>
> I am sorry to say that we are not able to fullfill your wish. It is unlikely
> that a "user" will face such an issue. We will clearly communicate in our
> release notes that KWin 4.7 will require Mesa 7.10. A developer has no problem
> with lack of notification as we print out a debug statement.
>
> Cheers
> Martin

Regards,
Ben