List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Re: concerning dbusmenu powered menus in the titlebar
From:       Martin =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gr=E4=DFlin?= <mgraesslin () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-03-30 18:47:33

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi all,

thanks you two for clarifying some parts. Overall that sounds rather good what Aurélien
writes and I think dbusmenu is suited for the task. Personally I am very surprised be the echo
this idea created - no other blog post has received so many and so many positive comments
in so short time. This shows me that it's worth to spend time on it, but I think it makes sense to
delay to 4.8.

On Wednesday 30 March 2011 15:31:02 Thomas Lübking wrote:
<snip>
> We could have derived and explicitly restricted classes for the dbusmenu
> support.
> This would ensure only "proper" menus are handled but would of course
> cause some transition time.
I think that is the only way to go. Looking at what Peter Penz did for Dolphin and what Firefox
does when dropping to one menu, it strikes me that we cannot put a normal menu into the
deco. That will be unusable.

Therefore there is one clear path: get support into KWin and Deco and negotiate with the
windows if they want to put a menu into the deco and let the windows provide their special
menu for this usecase. That might also be a solution for the topmenu when dropping into a
button btw. So what we need is probably an additional property to announce that the WM
supports adding menus to the deco and for the windows to specify that they want to provide
a menu. If a window does not provide, it is classic in the window.

Oh and looks like we need a KDecoration3.

> If on the other hand one just drops the dbusmenu on top of the existing
> qmenu world (and esp, from a platform plugin etc. which will alos cover
> proprietary 3rd party applications), i'm willing to bet
> [awholebigbunchofbucks] to get at least one more break/"needs patching
> case" - likely more.
Following the Linux kernel: never break your downstreams :-)