List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: [GSoC] Unit Testing Framework
From:       Martin =?iso-8859-15?q?Gr=E4=DFlin?= <mgraesslin () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-03-17 16:32:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 17 March 2011 15:11:25 Jon Ander Peņalba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in creating the Unit Testing Framework for GSoC.
nice to see that you are still interested in woring on that GSOC :-)
> I spoke
> with Martin some time ago and since then, I've been looking into KWin
> (specially all the scripting stuff) and Xephyr as much as my free time has
> allowed me.
>
> I currently have everything set up in my computer and would like to start
> digging deeper, but AFAIK some parts of KWin are planned to be reorganized.
Those reorganizations should be rather irrelevant to the GSoC luckily. The
scripting interface should not change (and if it does and your tests fail we
have found a reason why we need tests ;-) and most of the work is currently on
the effects layer which are currently (not yet) exposed to the scripting
interface.
> So my question is, what do you guys think should be the first parts to
> test?
I would try with something fairly simple. Change a desktop and verify that the
desktop changed. Open a window and verify that a client has been added.
Minimize it and verify that it is minimized. The more complex tasks should be
kept for the GSoC. Most likely we will be able to find real good test cases
with the refactoring GSoC.
> I don't want to start with parts that are going to be heavily
> refactored.
Understandable, though during the project it would be a plus to have them
before the refactoring is done to ensure that nothing breaks ;-)

Cheers
Martin