List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: New branch for replacing virtuals by Signals&Slots
From:       Sebastian =?utf-8?q?K=C3=BCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-03-02 21:26:27

On Sunday, February 27, 2011 15:28:37 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> With one thread it should always be direct methods call. If we have
> threads  there I would say something is seriously broken. I cannot imagine
> how we could pass a thread boundary there.

As far as I'm informed, the signal/slot mechanism has no guarantees to be
direct calls, as Thomas said. Even if it "should be in most cases", that's
probably not good enough to ensure code quality. If you want to ensure that a
slot is immediately called (and not "somewhen soon"), you can use
Qt::DirectConnection as additional argument to your connect().

See http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.7/qt.html#ConnectionType-enum

Cheers,
--
sebas