List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: The future of virtual desktops
From:       Thomas_Lübking <thomas.luebking () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-02-25 21:30:53

Am 25.02.2011, 10:46 Uhr, schrieb Anton Kreuzkamp <akreuzkamp@web.de>:

> But if I could put one window between two desktops so that one half of
> the window is on one desktop and the other half on the other desktop,and
> I could smoothly scroll to show the half of each desktop, I couldarrange
> my desktop perfectly to my needs.

check the xorg.conf manpage for "Virtual" and "Viweport" then add sth. like

//------------

Section "Screen"
         SubSection "Display"
                 Modes   "1600x1200" "1024x768" "800x600_100" "640x480_100"
	Virtual 	"1920x1200"
                 Depth   24
         EndSubSection
EndSection

//--------------

to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

---

Sth. like a "virtual desktop" does not exist outside the WM logics.
It's a model for "grouped minimizing of windows" - under the hood, all
windows which are not on this "virtual desktop" are just "minimized"
(unmapped, taken off screen, but not destroyed - this is actually not
entirely true for compositing by default)
Doing this from the WM would be more or less possible by following the
pointer and move around windows (and un/map them conditionally) but since
the server can do that, there's few point to have this in the WM (but
maybe to spare GL Texture size - i think compiz could/can actually do
this...)

> This idea is most probably not rializable with virtual desktops and thus
> more a replacement for VDs, but it would make easily clear what VDs
> are about: space.
Didn't use to be then.
Traditionally one grouped actions on them (IDE 'n stuff on one VD, browser
on a second, a sticky konsole - stuff like that) - this is why
"activities" in gnome shell is a hip word for "virtual desktops" and
nobody understands what activities on KDE are and what the difference to
VDs is ;-)

Cheers,
Thomas