List:       kwin
Subject:    New Shadow System
From:       Martin =?utf-8?q?Gr=C3=A4=C3=9Flin?= <kde () martin-graesslin ! com>
Date:       2011-01-26 20:35:15

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi all,

I have been gathering some ideas about how to do window shadows better in a
composited window manager and how to give control of the shadows to the widget
style. I wrote down my current ideas for (undecorated) windows in [1]. The
approach can easily be extended to support decorated windows (active and
inactive state).

Please all have a look at it and provide some feedback. Feel free to
change/extend it to whatever you think. The idea is mostly based on
discussions with Hugo (Oxygen) with some ideas coming from a discussion with
Thomas (Bespin), but I would also love to have feedback from other widget
style developers like Christoph and Craig.

Furthermore if you look at the proposal you will see some _KDE_NET_WM hints.
So I want to have this "upstreamed" after it is implemented. That's why I cc-
ed Sam to get some early feedback from the cross-wm front ;-) Does the
approach work for Compiz as well and does it make sense to go the way through
EWMH?

Thanks to all making Shadows in 4.7 rock :-D

Cheers
Martin

[1] http://community.kde.org/KWin/Shadow