List:       kwin
Subject:    Code Removal
From:       Martin =?utf-8?q?Gr=C3=A4=C3=9Flin?= <kde () martin-graesslin ! com>
Date:       2011-01-25 17:48:50

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi all,

after the merge of the GLES branch (scheduled for Sunday) I want to drop some
code which is unused/broken/whatever.

* Sharpen effect
* ShaderEffect
* Shadow effect
* SHM and Fallback OpenGL compositing
* Xgl support

Here a short reasoning:
*Sharpen*: bad design due to rendering allways complete screen to FBO and
adding shader to it. Usefullnes of effect questionable.
*ShaderEffect*: Not used any more after dropping sharpen
*Shadow*: Broken since at least 4.5, complex code, contains code copied from
scene opengl without backporting bug fixes, responsible for slowdown (acording
to bugs) and many more reasons
*SHM and Fallback*: all important drivers support TFP properly nowadays. If it
is not supported XRender is the better solution. Makes code more clean.
*Xgl: removed from X tree in 2008 - we defaulted to OpenGL compositing in 2009
so to say it was always obsoleted.

In case of objections speak now or be silent forever :-)

Cheers
Martin

P.S. After code removal I will reformat the source code