List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: windowClass : where is that string defined ?
From:       Frederic Janssens <fjanss () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-12-28 17:02:55

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 17:07, Thomas Lübking <thomas.luebking@gmail.com> wrote:

> Am Tuesday 28 December 2010 schrieb Frederic Janssens:
> > Where, by which way, and by whom is the windowClass string defined ?
> the content is set by the client as a property  on its windows (do: "xprop |
> grep -i class" and pick a window)
>
> > It is the only way I have found to get the application name from the
> > windowId.
> semi - you could do a process lookup from the "_NET_WM_PID" property (but it's
> optional and not set by all clients) and (on linux!) check /proc/$PID/cmdline

thanks

> > windowClass often contains the application name, but not always.
> yes, esp. firefox is great because it sets some "random" name with every major
> release (and sometimes minors as well ...)
>
> > The content format/convention is inconsistent (very variable).
> > To have a consistent mapping, I whould have to build a table.
> > To build that table I need to know where it is defined, for all installed
> > applications.
> nowhere, the client process sets it at runtime (as often as it feels like),

that's bad for me, I had hoped to be able to get it without running the app

> could be "Rumpelstiltskin" for the next firefox =)
>
> On X11 there's no strong connection between "windows" and "processes", the
> only _really_ (if present) reliable link is the _NET_WM_PID lookup.
>
> What precisely do you want to do?
> (maybe i've done that before ;-)

Well, I am trying to collect the values needed to automatically fill
most of the fields of a bugzilla report, to help users easily fill a
usefull bug report.
It's intended for Mageia (Mandriva fork) so it is mainly the complete
name of the installed RPM containing the app that is needed. Once I
have the name of the app executable I can get it, even if the RPM
does'nt have the same name.
(But I still don't know how to do that for kde utilities).

It seems the only way to build my table is to run all apps, not very appealing.

--

Frederic