List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: ideas to potentially share some effort
From:       Martin =?iso-8859-1?q?Gr=E4=DFlin?= <kde () martin-graesslin ! com>
Date:       2010-12-16 17:41:31

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 16 December 2010 01:06:32 you wrote:
> > Very unlikely to happen.
>
> So let me explain. We're implementing support for a new web technology
> called WebGL. In short, it's OpenGL ES bindings for Javascript. In
> practice, that means that malicious Javascript can execute OpenGL
> calls specially tailored to trigger/exploit a given driver bug. This
> is why:
You are mixing here to things: accelerating rendering and support for WebGL. I
agree that WebGL can expose security issues, but this is not true to normal
accelerating of web content. That's what my "very unlikely" refers to. I think
it is impossible to trigger a crash just by writing the "right" Html/CSS/JS
combination. Also for this aspect the crash on context creation would not be
an issue if you are able to detect it.
>  1) the security aspect is much more critical in our case
>  2) potentially every driver bug can be triggered by javascript.
If that is an issue for you in the case of WebGL than you will never be able
to deliver WebGL as you can never know that each and every driver on each and
every system will not crash. Here you need IMHO an out-of-process
architecture.

> That's why we need to be super conservative about enabling this kind
> of features.
For WebGL yes, but not for normal accelerated rendering. Personally with my
user hat on I prefer faster rendering than paranoid security.

Oh and just to let you don't think I comment on something I don't know about:
I did my Master thesis at a security oriented computer science institute.

Cheers
Martin