List:       kwin
Subject:    ideas to potentially share some effort
From:       Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-12-14 8:28:04

Hi,

There seems to be a bit of overlap between what you've been doing in
KWin, and what we've been doing in Mozilla to accelerate compositing
on OpenGL and OpenGL ES.

1. What I'd like to get from you

Do you have a good device / driver blacklist/whitelist ? We're
currently not enabling hardware acceleration by default in Firefox 4
on X11 because we're scared of the status of drivers (and being a
browser, we shouldn't risk crashing). Having a good
blacklist/whitelist would allow us to turn opengl features on at least
certain X11 setups.

2. What you might be interested in from us

a. Maybe I'm a bit late with this, but we have a good OpenGL / OpenGL
ES context abstraction layer, allowing to write code that will run
either way: see the GL... files in this directory:
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/66036625795f/gfx/thebes

b. We have implemented a 'OpenGL debug mode' that helps a lot with
debugging GL code. It catches such errors as
gl-function-called-on-wrong-gl-context, forgot-to-call-glFlush, etc.
It turns OpenGL into a synchronous API by calling glFinish after every
GL call, making stack traces actually significant in case of crashes.
It allows to trace GL calls and GL errors. See GLContext.* files in
above directory, especially BeforeGLCall() and AfterGLCall() in
GLContext.h.

c. In case you're interested, our compositing engine resides there:
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/66036625795f/gfx/layers
with the OpenGL (ES) back-end there:
http://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/file/66036625795f/gfx/layers/opengl

Cheers