List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: activity switching during logout
From:       Chani <chanika () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-12-02 21:03:41

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On December 2, 2010 21:50:03 Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> On Thursday 02 December 2010 21:44:26 Chani wrote:

> > > +1  on that. I think it makes most sense and I even consider switching
> > > desktop as described in Chani's mail as wrong. The other windows should
> > > be brought to the current desktop (though that is not always possible,
> > > window rules might prevent it).
> >
> > I tried to make it show without being on the activity, and couldn't get
> > it to do anything. do you know how to do that?
> > "temporarily" adding it to the current activity brings the question of
> > how one can actually make that temporary - both ensuring it's
> > unassociated if the user cancels logout, and assuring the association
> > isn't saved if logout continues.
>
> Could we fake the temporary assignment to current activity in KWin? I'm not
> sure how you handle it in the code, but can't you just call the right
> slot/method with the right parameters?

Client keeps itself in sync with the x properties.
since manage.cpp is part of Client, maybe I could go straight for the
privates, add a second member to back up the list... or add a flag and have
isOnCurrentDesktop or isOnCurrentActivity to just return true if it's set...

hmm, yes, that might actually work! :)

> > if the damn window can just say "force showing me
> > everywhere for a bit" that's much nicer...
>
> bad idea, I know a lot apps would love to say "I'm important, show me" all
> the time. That's like the systray in Windows ;-)

nah, I didn't mean it that way, I meant Client deciding it internally. :)
however, it would make infinitely more sense for ksmserver to tell us who's
doing SessionInteract at the moment - all this code is useless if someone
decides to do a "save?" dialog that's not a separate window (say, one inside a
qgraphicsscene or qml thingy...)

I'm going to end up writing a new session protocol after all. damnit. :)

--
Chani
http://chani.ca