List:       kwin
Subject:    How to circumvent a possible BC problem in KDecoration API?
From:       Martin =?utf-8?q?Gr=C3=A4=C3=9Flin?= <kde () martin-graesslin ! com>
Date:       2010-10-20 19:59:23

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi,

I just wanted to add some awesome tooltips to Aurorae including nice window
previews. Therefore I would need to know the WId of the tab and here comes the
problem... it isn't exposed through the API and looking at the source it seems
I am unable to add it. As it is a small class here the complete code:

class KWIN_EXPORT ClientGroupItem
    {
    public:
        ClientGroupItem( QString t, QIcon i )
            {
            title_ = t;
            icon_ = i;
            }
        inline QIcon icon() const
            {
            return icon_;
            }
        inline QString title() const
            {
            return title_;
            }
    private:
        QString title_;
        QIcon icon_;
    };

As far as I understand I cannot add anything to the class as the constructor
is inline, and there is no d-pointer. So adding a WId field won't work, right?

ClientGroupItem is only used for KDecorationUnstable, but nevertheless I do
not want to break BC - considering that there are external decorations using
it (QtCurve, Bespin) and Compiz implementing it (I don't want another round of
kde-window-decorator crashes).

Any recommendations? In case of breaking BC I would move this to 4.7 and
rename KDecorationUnstable to KDecoration2 and do a proper cleanup.

Martin