List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Proposal to add engine support to KWin
From:       Martin =?iso-8859-1?q?Gr=E4=DFlin?= <kde () martin-graesslin ! com>
Date:       2010-09-26 15:00:35

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 26 September 2010 16:02:19 Christoph Feck wrote:
> 3. Outstanding Issues
>
>     For Aurorae, the selected theme is written to the auroraerc file.
>     I am not sure which is better. Engines usually only read from their own
>     configuration file.
I think it's better to have an own configuration file for engines in case the
engine can be used in several window managers. That could be Smaragd sharing
configuration with Emerald, Aurorae KWin sharing with future Aurorae Compiz,
etc.

>     Aurorae appearently supports per-theme button and border sizes.
>     I haven't checked if/how that can be generalized.
Actually it's only per-theme buttons. The border size can be configure per
theme but IIRC it's global to Aurorae (would have to recheck the code).

In general I think that button order is part of the visual design (cp. Ubuntu
10.04), but border size is an accessibility feature and more important than
the design.

>     Currently, KNS3 cannot merge multiple knsrc files into the same
>     dialog, but that can be worked on. As a workaround, the
>     "Get New Themes..." button gets a drop down menu where the
>     user selects the engine he wants to download themes for.
We should try to get this fixed in KNS3 (ask fregl?). For the user it is
totally irrelevant which theme engine is used, so asking him to choose the
engine is not a good solution IMHO.

Another outstanding issue is how to get the preview into the theme list in the
KCM. That probably needs extension to the API. Maybe something like

virtual boolean isThemeEngine() const;
virtual QPixmap previewForTheme(const QString& themeIdentifier, const QSize&
size, boolean active) const;

That would cause an ABI change, but it's time to rename KDecorationUnstable to
KDecoration2 anyway (Compiz devs will hate us :-P )

Martin