List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Opposition to removing old KWin themes?
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () cirulla ! net>
Date:       2010-07-23 8:28:46

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 12:23 AM, Markus Slopianka <markus.s@kdemail.net> wrote:

>> > Yes. They are incredibly ugly.
>>
>> That is subjective. BII is not beautiful but it does not want to be. It's
>> about providing a special functionality. So to argument with beauty is
>> completely wrong in that case.
>
> He asked me about other issues. I find them ugly and that's an issue for me.
> Plain and simple.
> People may disagree, but neither is there an objective wrong, nor am I going
> to apologise for expressing my opinion someone asked for.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy your opinion as a valid reason for removal.
I happen to like some of them; they may look retro, but that's not
reason enough to remove them; It has been said that we might shock
users out of KDE by just shipping the decorations... Is not that a bit
out of proportion? I think many new users will not even find the
setting panel for a while... and nobody is forcing anyone in using
ugly themes.

On the other hand, removing something for the simple reason that it
looks outdated, is going to annoy a few users for sure; you don't
think many distributions will actually ship kde-artwork stuff, do you?

If this were a maintainership problem, I could understand, and I'm
willing to act as a maintainer for a few decorations, say Be II KDE 2
and Laptop.

I suppose it would be good to disable decorations that have no
maintainer or have serious bugs, but being (subjectively) ugly is not
a good reason to get rid of something that works.

--
Luciano Montanaro

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on
no account be allowed to do the job. -- Douglas Adams