Am Saturday 22 May 2010 schrieb Matthew Woehlke: > Ah... in a sense, a WM *is* MDI. The only true lack of MDI is... um... > to only ever have exactly one document open at a time. Even VTY's are a > form of MDI. No (What'd be SDI then) :-) MDI (mostly, to me) means cascaded WM. Of course you could claim that a cascade with depth one is still a cascade, but it somehow lacks the cascading thing :-) The spec clearly states that window-in-window MDI are not in scope. Whether this expands to "general" MDi and "TDI" in particular - i don't know. > I'd be okay with that, except then how do you have shortcuts for 'new > window' and 'new tab'? If you can solve that, then I agree this is the > way to go. This _has_ to be done by the client as the server has no idea about the running command (though on linux you could try to trace it via _NET_WM_PID and /proc) - not to mention alternative paramenters (like every new konsole tab starts on the current directory) or "in-process" MDI support. Also konsole and all browsers (w/ tab support) i know of have shortcuts to open new windows anyway. You would probably require support for some additional buttons (well, to "add" - close could be done by the present close button) and thus additional IPC between client and server. (right now there're afaik only the properties and sigterm) Thomas _______________________________________________ kwin mailing list kwin@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kwin