List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: jargon is bad! :)
From:       Fredrik =?utf-8?q?H=C3=B6glund?= <fredrik () kde ! org>
Date:       2010-03-16 19:00:17

On Tuesday 16 March 2010, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On March 16, 2010, Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> > Am Dienstag 16 März 2010 02:40:03 schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> > > [1] personally i think this should actually be "Window Effects". kwin
> > > devs: what do you think?
> >
> > Interesting. Could you please provide some reasoning for it. I currently
> > can't see the advantages and only see disadvantages (yeah I'm a typical
> > German), e.g. the settings would not fit in section "Desktop" anymore. And
>
> we have screen saver and launch feedback in there as well; i wouldn't be too
> concerned about this aspect of it.
>
> > while most effects are window effects, there are some pure desktop effects
> > like slide, fade desktop, desktop grid and cube.
>
> they don't affect the "desktop" itself, and if we consider virtual desktops as
> window groups, ...
>
> it really shows up, though, when we put it on a netbook, a t.v. or a phone:
> the wording seems a bit odd. and unless you know that a "desktop effect" does
> something to your windows, it's unlikely someone will guess that's what they
> do.

I argued for "desktop effects" because compositing also affects things
such as tooltips, panels, menus etc. that most users don't think of as
being windows.

I think a "window" to most users is a window with a titlebar and borders.

I don't think "visual effects" are appropriate either, because it's a broad
term that can conceptually encompass the animations you see in widget
styles etc. Compiz doesn't have that problem since it's only a window
manager.

I do agree though that "desktop effects" isn't perfect, but I don't have
a better suggestion at the moment.

Regards,
Fredrik