List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Progress bar animations for KDE 4.4/4.5 ?
From:       Vishal Rao <vishalrao () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-01-31 16:38:46

On 31 January 2010 21:18, Thomas Lübking <thomas.luebking@web.de> wrote:
> This is probably the wrong group (meant kde-core-devel?)
>
> However:
> ---
> Probably wrong approach.
> As the smooth animation is a pure visual thing (do NOT change the value or
> min/maxvalues - this will sooner or later lead to segfaults in the usercode -
> esp. if you've got a 1 second animation) it needs to be handled in the
> painting code, i.e either by manipulating the QStyleOption in
> KProgressBar::paintEvent() or directly in the style (i.e. animate there)
>
> Also be aware that a 5ms timer is probably overhead (this is 200fps - far
> beyond human abilities, 20ms makes 50fps and is by far enough, 33ms should be
> good and 40ms are sufficient) and also will not work on all systems (i think
> Qt on windows up to XP xould only provide 20ms timer intervals)
>
> Cheers

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, you're right, 5ms is overkill I am still playing around with the numbers.

Are you saying there is already/currently a KProgressBar somewhere? If
so, where?

I believe this mailing list (kwin) also includes the kstyle/oxygen work? Anyway,
I mainly want to keep Hugo updated on whatever might interest him.

Regards,
Vishal