List:       kwin
Subject:    kwin performance
From:       Chris Vickery <chris () resara ! com>
Date:       2009-10-09 16:35:41

Hello,
I've been doing some benchmarking on kwin from KDE4 versus kwin of KDE3... I'm doing \
these benchmarks over XDMCP as that is the environment I wish to get working. Right \
off the bat using kde4 it was obvious that window management was much slower, and the \
benchmarks proved it. The first bench I did was "response", which tests the number of \
seconds from requesting a map till it's done... These are the results of that test: \
Kwin4 + Oxygen: MIN: 0.050617s, MAX: 1.537048, AVG: 1.237405 Kwin4 + Plastik: MIN: \
0.062899s, MAX: 1.277757, AVG: 1.068082 Kwin3 + Plastik: MIN: 0.020852s, MAX: \
0.123425, AVG: 0.077717 One can't help but notice that a process that once took a few \
hundredths of a second now takes over a second to complete.

The second test is "throughput", which tests the number of windows that can be \
created and destroyed per second. Here are the results for that test. Kwin4 + Oxygen: \
WIN/SEC 6.545928 Kwin4 + Plastik: WIN/SEC 8.029485
Kwin3 + Plastik: WIN/SEC 13.185801

All tests were done in the same session with the same windows open, I simply set my \
display on a Hardy machine and a Karmic machine and ran kwin --replace on either... \
The test was done in a KDE4 session. The hardware on either machine is similar, the \
KDE4 machine being the more powerful of the two, by a very small amount.

$ kwin --version
Qt: 4.5.2
KDE: 4.3.2 (KDE 4.3.2)
KWin: 4.3.2 (KDE 4.3.2)

$ kwin --version
Qt: 3.3.8b
KDE: 3.5.9
KWin: 3.0

I realize that there are a lot of other things that could be playing into the \
benchmark here due to the kwin process being run on two different machines, but I do \
not think the differences could account for the radical differences in performance \
shown here. I, currently, use kwin3 on my KDE4 session and it's actually quite a nice \
experience -- XDMCP sessions are not far off for KDE4, which means that KDE4 can be \
seen on a thin client pretty soon (which is my ultimate goal here).

So, my questions are as follows... Are there any configuration tweaks I can do to \
increase performance with kwin4? All visual effects are disabled right now. Also, \
does anyone know if there is a distinct part of kwin4 that makes it so much slower, \
and if so it would it be worth it/possible for me to hack though it and make a \
kwin4-light that has comparable performance to kwin3?

Any additional feedback is appreciated!
Thanks,
Chris