List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Add F11 as full screen shortcut
From:       Martin =?iso-8859-1?q?Gr=E4=DFlin?= <kde () martin-graesslin ! com>
Date:       2009-06-01 17:57:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 01 June 2009 18:34:00 Matthew Woehlke wrote:
> Louai Al-Khanji wrote:
> >>
> >> For what it's worth, I've set F11 to be fullscreen in KWin. It will
> >> give ANY application window fullscreen capabilities by default. Maybe
> >> an idea to solve this universally?
> >
> > Some applications have special handling for full screen though, for
> > example firefox will switch to small icons and slide the toolbars out
> > of view.
>
> Does the X WM spec allow a WM to notify an app when it is being made
> full-screen? (Or can the app detect this in the geometry-changed event?)
Yes the specification has a section to fullscreen windows.  There are allowed
actions ([1]):
"_NET_WM_ACTION_FULLSCREEN indicates that the window may be brought to
fullscreen state"

and there is the window state ([2]):
"_NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN indicates that the window should fill the entire
screen and have no window decorations. Additionally the Window Manager is
responsible for restoring the original geometry after a switch from fullscreen
back to normal window. For example, a presentation program would use this
hint."

And if you have a look at the way it is handled in different applications you
can see that applications can react on it. So if you use alt+f3 -> advanced ->
fullscreen in Kontact, just the decoration will be removed, while in Konqueror
the menu bar is removed as well.

Regards
Martin

[1] http://standards.freedesktop.org/wm-spec/wm-spec-latest.html#id2551927