List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Feature Suggestions: Expose with tabs & Snappy Window handling
From:       "Lucas Murray" <lmurray () undefinedfire ! com>
Date:       2009-01-09 16:33:30

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 7:33 PM, Bernhard Rode <mail@bernhardrode.de> wrote:
> Hello to the list, this is my first message here. I've two feature
> suggestions for KWIN.
>
> The first wish is that expose is able to split tabbed windows and show them
> as single ones.
>
> p.e.
>
> if konsole open with 3 different session, konqueror with 4 different pages
> and another konqueror with 2 tabs.
>
> Now i move the mouse to the upper left corner to show the expose.
>
> Currently i will get 3 windows to choose with their last active tab shown.
>
> What I would like to see iss, that it opens all the 9 tabs as seperate
> windows or may be 3 windows where tabs are shown as a seperate expose like
> on this screenshot:
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/images/p/3735/943948800

This is impossible unfortunately as KWin doesn't have control over the
application's tabs. Well there is an alternative, but it's no small
task as it would require writing a completely new global API for
applications.

> The other one has been shown by MS in Windows 7 they call it "Snap to". If
> you move a window to a border, the window gets resized.
>
> p.e.
>
> If you drag it to the right border it takes the right half of the screen.
> then you take another window and drag it to the left border which will make.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbsnbjkrWus

I've actually already written a version of this for KWin,
unfortunately it was a hack and doesn't mean KWin code standards so
cannot be added to trunk in its current state. The code required to
add all the features is actually quite small and I was surprised at
how little time it took to write it up (~30-45 minutes IIRC). For the
code to meet standards it just needs to be ported to the core instead
of a desktop "effect", if anyone would like to do that I will happily
try and find the code I had to give to them.

    Lucas