List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Performance problem in cube with multi monitor setup
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2008-12-01 11:19:46

On Monday 01 of December 2008, Aike J Sommer wrote:
> Am Sonntag 30 November 2008 21:11:33 schrieb Martin Gräßlin:
> > Am Sonntag 30 November 2008 20:57:59 schrieb Aike J Sommer:
> > > Some calls result in D-Bus calls, some will just return cached
> > > values... What queries are actually done that often?
> >
> > only quries for the client area. Like that one
> > effects->clientArea( FullArea, activeScreen, effects->currentDesktop());
>
> If they all are for "FullArea" this sholdnt result in dbus-calls... For
> other arguments this might be different, but there is also lots of room for
> optimization!! ;-)
> I'll be working on that front, but if you have specific other specific
> calls i could look at those first!!

 I think the client side should cache pretty much everything and the central
part should send events with updates, similarly like interacting directly
with X would work. Otherwise it could be possible for a client to receive new
status for a query while not knowing about the related change yet.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer