List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Fix for kwin crash with multiple monitors
From:       "Lucas Murray" <lmurray () undefinedfire ! com>
Date:       2008-10-20 13:05:40

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 8:46 PM, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@suse.cz> wrote:
> On Thursday 16 of October 2008, Guillaume Pothier wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I'm currently hacking on the multimonitor support (there is a long
>> thread in the plasma mailing list for reference). With two monitors
>> plugged in, kwin frequently crashes in Workspace::clientArea(
>> clientAreaOption, int, int ). The problem is the screenarea/workarea
>> arrays are sometimes smaller than expected. The attached patch works
>> around the crash by simply testing the size of the arrays. I guess
>> it's not the definitive solution but at least it avoids the crash. Ok
>> to commit?
>
>  That doesn't look right to me, it's probably just patching over problems
> elsewhere. What is the real problem?

The last time I looked into the crash it ended up being something
stupid like QDesktopWidget detecting only a single screen when on
different X servers but returns a non-zero screen number when
screenNumber() is called on the second server. Workspace::clientArea()
and several other methods don't expect this behaviour and so fall
over.