List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: List of gfx cards and how they work with KWin
From:       Rivo Laks <rivolaks () hot ! ee>
Date:       2008-09-18 13:58:03

Ühel kenal päeval (neljapäev 18 september 2008) kirjutas Lubos Lunak:
> On Thursday 18 of September 2008, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  please consider adding your gfx card and information about it to
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/KWin/HW . Thanks.
>
>  Also, looking at the list, it appears quite obvious that there is no
> simple rule for selecting which cards should or should not have compositing
> enabled by default (for example, GeForce4 4200 Go outperforms GeForce 6200
> by quite a lot in glxgears, and regardless of how bad benchmark glxgears
> is, this should mean something). So, I'm open to suggestions and good ideas
> about how we could handle this :).

Not suprising actually. 6200 is a low-end card (as are e.g. 5200 and 7300),
but 4200 is a mid-end one (in GeForce4 series, 4 digit numbers meant mid/high
end cards and 3 digit ones were low end cards).

For NVidia's GeForce 5-9 series, it might be possible to determine the card's
speed by looking at the first two digits of the model number. Low end cards
have 2nd digit lower than 5, so one possibility would be to enable compositing
if
  model[1] >= '5' || model[0] >= '7'
(this assumes that for GeForce7 and up, even low-end cards are powerful
enough. Not sure if that's the case).

And in some cases, you might even want to look at card model/driver combo.
E.g. my GeForce 9600 was slow as hell until I discovered some hidden settings
(which are also listed somewhere at techbase). After changing those settings
manually, everything works very fast. But I don't know when those "good
values" will be the defaults...

Rivo