List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: Idea for conflicts with shadow effect
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2008-07-31 14:14:20

On Friday 18 of July 2008, Martin Graesslin wrote:
> On Friday 11 July 2008 22:03:45 Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  I was thinking about adding new quads just for shadows (i.e. like there
> > are now quads for window contents and for decoration, there would be also
> > for shadow). It should have the advantage of getting all transformations
> > for free, although there could be a problem with them not being quite
> > right (e.g. when cutting of the right half of the window, there would be
> > no shadow to the right - but I'd hope making sure the ordering of effects
> > is right would avoid that).
> >
> >  Either way, I expect there is the problem with drawing shadows for
> > non-rectangular objects (i.e. bug #157353).
>
> So I started to work on the issue. I just want to check if I am going
> towards the right direction ;-) The code I have written so far solves the
> problem for cube and improves the situation for wobbly windows a little
> bit, but makes it worse in other parts. That would probably require changes
> in wobbly windows. So before looking into that I want to check if it looks
> ok so far.

 I have no idea :-/. I'm not so convinced anymore that my suggestion was a
good idea, although I don't have any better. But your current patch causes
quite bad drawing artifacts (together with wobbly, one can clearly see a
grid).

> I don't want to read the effects config in scene in the final solution. I
> am thinking of a way to call methods of shadow effect from scene so that I
> can get the required parameters.

 Why does it have to be done there, instead of the shadow effect simply doing
it?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer