List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: wobbly effect
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2008-01-29 11:26:08

On Thursday 24 of January 2008, cedric wrote:
> Hello, I'm desperatly trying to create a wobbly-like-compiz effet on kwin.
> (I attach my current results)
>
> I have trouble tuning the parameters and I get an "oscillation" effect :/

 It unfortunately does not work at all here, with SVN trunk. When I try to
change geometry in any way, it results in the whole screen repainted in
strange ways, it looks a bit like huge broken zoom, exploding from the
window. Is that what you mean with oscillation?

> I implemented a little qt4 app to easyly test my algo and try to correctly
> tune it.

 This one works right for me though.

> If someone have an idea to improve it, please let me know it.

 I can't comment on the algorithm itself, as I have no idea how it works, but
other things I see:

- the things done in prePaintScreen() should be done only when necessary -
e.g. PAINT_SCREEN_WITH_TRANSFORMED_WINDOWS has a noticeable performance hit
- since your paintWindow() checks for !w->isSpecialWindow(), it would be
better to do this before trying to add any window to 'windows'. This way
unnecessary windows may be processed.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer