List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: performance with animations
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2007-10-12 16:28:24

On Wednesday 10 of October 2007, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> On 10/10/07, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@suse.cz> wrote:
> > On Monday 08 of October 2007, Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > > Hi guys,
> > >
> > > I've been using Kwin with compositing for some time under 3.5, and it
> > > performs great on my Geforce 6600. Today, I was working on screenshots
> > > for 4.0 beta apps, and I tried the animations I blogged about
> > > previously ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FuB4YZfC4s ). They don't
> > > really go smooth at all with compositing on... Try moving one of the
> > > dockers from dolphin - the animation is smooth without compositing,
> > > but with, it's pretty bad.
> > >
> > > Is this due to a bug, or some fundamental limitation? I hope it can be
> > > fixed, of course, if not - all Qt4 apps have all kinds of animations
> > > (try removing toolbars, or when the buttons don't fit on it, click the
> > > 'more' button on the right and watch the remaining one appear -
> > > animated). This is gonna hurt...
> >
> >  I have no idea, I haven't yet got as far as finetuning performance. Does
> > it work reasonably with Compiz?
>
> Compiz doesn't run at all here, dunno, must be some bug somewhere and
> I don't really care... Sorry.

 Well, then there's nothing to compare KWin to. But I've found one way to make
the Dolphin animations smooth:
  LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libIndirect.so.1 kwin --replace

 KWin using this library seems to be about as smooth as Compiz when using it
(which it does by default), the same way both are quite jumpy when they don't
use it (which means removing the file when trying with Compiz).

 This is with nvidia on openSUSE10.3 - can somebody try with some other setup?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer