List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: KWin effects config & usability
From:       "Jos Poortvliet" <jos () mijnkamer ! nl>
Date:       2007-08-27 15:19:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

[Attachment #4 (text/plain)]

On 8/27/07, Rivo Laks <rivolaks@hot.ee> wrote:

> Ühel kenal päeval (esmaspäev 27 august 2007) kirjutas Jos Poortvliet:
> > On 8/27/07, Rivo Laks <rivolaks@hot.ee> wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I'd like to get your opinion in a few questions regarding KWin effects
> > > and their usability.
> > >
> > > First, the effects config. We now have "Desktop effects" config module
> > > from
> > > where the user can turn on compositing as well as toggle some common
> > > effects
> > > like shadows or improved window management (= Expose-like effect,
> desktop
> > > grid and improved alt-tab).
> > > This is quite complete IMHO, perhaps it could use a "Press ok to
> accept
> > > the
> > > changes, otherwise they'll be reverted in 15 seconds" dialog as when
> > > changing
> > > resolution.
> >
> > Can you explain why you would want that?
>
> Because compositing might not always work correctly, especially with older
> drivers. There was a period for me when starting KWin with TFP compositing
> resulted in a gray screen with no windows visible. I want to make sure
> there's a simple way back in case something like that happens.

OK, yes that makes sense. Only when turning the whole thing on, then, not
after changing each effect, I guess?

>> But we also have the "Window effects" config module that displays a list
> of
> > > all effects and lets the user toggle and configure them. Having both
> > > "Desktop
> > > effects" and "Window effects" is confusing IMHO, so we could either
> > > rename the latter (to what?) or somehow integrate it into desktop
> effects
> > > module (another tab?). What do you think?
> >
> > Yes, this can be improved. The specific settings should be hidden a bit
> > more, and the generic "Desktop Effects" should be the main dialog users
> > see. The ability to choose to enable desktop effects, and then choose
> > 'basic' and 'more' or whatever - wonderful. Then maybe a button
> 'configure
> > effects' or indeed a tab, yes. Maybe first try the tab, greyed  out when
> > the effects are off. Hmm. Or a button with the configuration... I can't
> > choose ;-)
>
> Perhaps tab would even be better than a button and yet-another-dialog :-)

Yeah... I guess so ...

> > And in case the shortcuts will go to options pages of individual
> effects,
> > > should there be some kind of notice at the top of the list, e.g. "To
> see
> > > effect shortcuts, click Options for that effect"?
> >
> > Why mention it? Changing the shortcut seems at the right spot at
> 'Options',
> > so just keep it at that...
>
> Because it's also about discovering the shortcuts. It might not be so
> obvious
> that you should go to Options to see which shortcut activates the effect
> (or
> is it?).

Hmmm, I honestly don't know. In the spirit of "lets keep it clean" I vote
for not putting such a note and let the user find it himself, but well - it
might be needed. We can do that later, anyway, right?

Rivo